Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Scandalous!

Well, it’s finally happened. I knew it would eventually, but I can now mark the day when I fully scandalized the first member of the OWU community.

It all came about yesterday when I had finally gotten Mia down for a nap (HALLELUJAH!) and was nursing Maggie. At the door there was a loud, increasingly persistent knocking. I knew that it I didn’t do something about it Mia would be awake and then my life would be a real adventure for the rest of the afternoon and evening. So, I stuffed Maggie’s head under cloth and carried her on the Boppy to the door where I found a member of the OWU maintenance staff.

You see, my oven has done something strange – I woke up in the morning to a loud beeping noise and an error message that defied Izzy or my understanding. So we unplugged it and placed a work order request for an expert to help us.

The expert was standing at the door. He asked if it was a good time and I asked him if he was going to be loud. At this point I think he realized he was actually being greeted at the door by two human beings because he began to back away. I explained that I had one child down for a nap and another about to nap but if he wasn’t going to be ridiculously loud I would like him to work on my oven.

“Just tell me when to come back, just tell me when to come back!” he began to plead with a note of panic in his voice. At this point he had ducked his head and was addressing the wall over his right shoulder.

I asked him to come back in an hour and a half. He didn’t come back at all. Isaiah thinks that the story is hilarious. I want my oven working.

I have come to feel like God gave us a specific, natural way of feeding infants during the first months of their lives. I am honestly more covered when nursing than I am in my general daily attire. Therefore, I don’t really feel that I should be ashamed of the fact that I was nursing my child in my own home and someone else happened upon me and was obviously bothered.

So that’s the story. J

I’ve been saving up my stories like this to tell you all at once. We went to Kansas last week with the soccer team and found ourselves at Applebee’s, where I was thrilled to enjoy a riblet basket and fries. I haven’t enjoyed BBQ anything for so many months while pregnant that this was really a big deal for me. Toward the end of the meal, however, I made a discovery. One never realizes how absurd certain phrases are until they say them out loud. Case in point, "moist towelette." When I realized my fingers were becoming unbearably sticky I flagged the waitress down, at distance of approximately 10 feet, asked, "excuse me, may I have a moist towelette?"

Isaiah asked me, deadpan, if I would like her to warm it for me. Just say it out loud right now. It’s a terribly snobbish phrase!

When I went to get gas for the van while the girls were warming up I decided that Maggie was just going to have to cry out her irritation with the car seat. What I didn't realize is that Maggie is more than irritated with the car seat - being put in there makes her downright furious! I got back in the car after filling up and found Mia holding her hand and shushing her. Maggie had been thrashing around so wildly that she had scratched herself all over her scalp, in places even drawing blood. I begin to realize that I should probably begin to read "The Strong-Willed Child"!

And the finally, the other morning I made the mistake of starting a kissing time with my husband while in sight of my 20 month old copycat. The next thing I knew, Izzy was being pulled aside by his collar and I had an adorable face in mine. Before I could take even an instant to become acclimated to the transition she planted a wet, sloppy one on me. I guess I should just be happy that she doesn't know how to French kiss! I was laughing too hysterically at the time to give her any pointers.

So… those are my stories since the last time I wrote an update. Things are still good here, we’ve survived a tornado watch with no ill effects and soccer season is officially over. The men’s team is going to the conference tournament so Isaiah is working out with them for a few more weeks. Then we’re headed to Arizona the first weekend of November for home time as well as recruiting for next year – the Arizona State High School finals are taking place.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...