Monday, May 12, 2008

The best Mother's Day present...

I woke up this morning at 7 a.m. Yes. 7 a.m. That may sound not so interesting to you, but when you consider the fact that I have been waking up multiple times in the night for more than a year… well, waking up at 7 a.m. becomes much more exciting! I think that Maggie had just given me the best Mother’s Day present ever!

The only downside is that I said I would stop drinking coffee when she started sleeping through the night.

Yesterday was actually a great day. I don’t really hold with holidays on the whole – they seem to be mostly made up as an excuse to charge people a lot of money in restaurants, flower shops and card stores.

Mia has entered this phase of needing to identify things again. So when we call her a “silly goose,” for instance, she smacks her chest and sternly corrects us with, “No, this Mia!” It’s been kind of fun to harass her with this – we say, “Oh, really! Are you sure you aren’t Maggie?” She gets quite bothered.

She’s also been impressing us with her counting abilities. She’s started to count things, the geese on the lake, the number of animals on a page in her books, just all sorts of stuff. Of course, now that she’s into numbers she won’t even talk to us about letters. I guess it’s all in her own time.

Anyway, yesterday I requested a swing for the girls as part of my Mother’s Day loot. Izzy was able to attach it to the balcony over our apartment and we tried it out. Mia was so excited! I couldn’t believe how happy she was. Maggie was also happy but a bit more reserved.

I keep trying to think of little anecdotes to tell you about the girls and I’m drawing a blank on anything that will translate well into the written word – unfortunately most of it is, “you had to be there”-type stuff. But I will say that I think we’ve been in a golden era of life – Mia is throwing fewer 2-year-old tantrums and Maggie is having a good time crawling around and learning how to walk. They’re interacting and we’ve had a lot of laughter the past little bit of time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...