We just returned from a conference to Chicago – it was really a great conference but also exhausting. It was the first time that we flew with Maggie and only the second for Mia. When we loaded the plane on the way out a woman across the aisle looked at us and requested to be moved. I didn’t blame her – we were as prepared as anyone can be with the kids but I had no guarantee that they would be angels rather than hellions. Our lucky day, though – they were awesome! The lady who had moved told us “thank you” on the way out of the plane… now that’s a good feeling!
The week in between flights was not quite as smooth. We had lots of fun action going to the hotel swimming pool and visiting with my friend Dannie, but naptimes were inconsistent and thus temperaments were as changeable as a light switch. Teething didn’t help Maggie… but the sweetest thing happened while we were there:
I was putting Maggie to sleep in the bedroom but was having trouble because she won’t take the pacifier anymore (I’m blaming the teeth again). Izzy brought Mia to the bed and laid her down. She was drowsy, but happy to be in there with us. I finally got Maggie to stop nursing but then she began to fuss. Then, she rolled into Mia’s arms, sighed, and fell asleep, spooning with her big sister. Mia moved and gently kissed Maggie on the top of the head while pulling her close into the snuggle and said, “It’s OK, Maggie, no crying.” Tears came to my eyes watching those two little girls, their tiny hands, intertwined as they slept.
They also zonked out on the plane ride back, so I think we can call this adventure a success. They’re just regular world travelers, these girls!
Today was also the first day that they went to “school,” or the “new playground.” They’re going to be going to a Mom’s Day Out program while I work as the Director of Residential Life here at OWU… I think mom was much more anxious about this adventure than they were. Both came back in good spirits and full of happiness – here’s the picture of Mia on her first day going to “school.” When did she get so big?
The weather has been kind of yucky, but we aren’t being hit by flooding yet. At least not significant flooding. I hope it stays that way!
No comments:
Post a Comment