Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Not tomorrow, not Tuesday minutes, TODAY!!!

“Guess what, Mia – Grandpa and Grandma are coming today.”

 

“Today?”

 

“Yes, Today.”

 

“Wow!”

 

This is the conversation I had with Mia when I woke up this morning.  I hadn’t realized that she knew how to use the word, “wow.”  There are a lot of things lately that she’s been surprising me with – her vocabulary is amazing to me.  She’s actually putting sentences together rather than the grunts and pointing to which I’ve become accustomed.  She’s also accomplished potty-training.  I think that we can officially say that we have only one child in diapers now (thank you for the extra $50/month!)!

 

My mom and dad are flying out today to stay with us through the opening of the college school year.  They’re just life savers.  Not only do we really enjoy seeing and visiting with them, but they’re also willing to rearrange their truly busy schedules to stay for an extended time and help us make sure the girls are getting loads of attention during the next few weeks, which are arguably the busiest weeks of the entire year for residence life and soccer.  We can’t wait to pick them up tonight!

 

Mia and I are going to head down to Tulsa to pick them up while  Maggie is going to stay in Bartlesville with Isaiah (and Gaby!) and show off her newly developed walking talents to the men’s and women’s soccer teams tonight during their pre-season kick-off banquet.  I have a feeling that she will be well received.  She’s a really little baby and the sight of her just tromping up and down, walking with pretty steady steps, is relatively incongruous and charming.  (I’m not biased at all, you know!)  She’s also just been developing more personality every day – this week she started to play peek-a-boo herself and a basic version of hide-and-seek.  She’s quite the little charmer.  Full of smiles and gurgles and then – Wham! – she’s having a solid, feet slamming temper tantrum.  I shudder to consider what the teenage years will look like around our house.

 

Actually, that’s a true statement.  I was talking with someone who has grown children and she said that her daughters were just difficult to figure out from about ages 12 – 17 and then they got along great.  I realized that with our girls being so close together in age there’s a period of about 6 years where Isaiah and I have the possibility of being held hostage in our house by “feminine mystique.”  Sigh.

 

I hope that when you read these emails you know that I write about their accomplishments just to keep you posted, not because I want to brag on them (which I do, but not at the expense of being rude!)  I was reading on babycenter.com and there were some people who posted the most scathing remarks toward a lady who said her child was developmentally ahead of the standard milestones.  They told her she was rude, arrogant and insensitive.  They also said she was probably without friends because if she had friends she would know that you don’t talk about your child’s accomplishments because it might make the other parents feel insecure about their own children and parenting style.  So, long story short, please know that I only tell you these things about Maggie and Mia because you aren’t here to see them for yourself!

 

Now, enough about my children.  And my justification for these emails. J

 

The soccer teams will arrive tonight.  Since Izzy is coaching both teams his administrative side is being set free. J  Actually, I think that his administrative side is sitting in a small ball in the corner of his personality, quivering with over use.  However, the teams are arriving, he has everything in order, and I have faith that this soccer season will be a lot of fun.

 

The RA’s will arrive on Saturday to begin the week-long training process.  I am 75% ready for them to arrive.  Yesterday was spent trying to track down the students who just moved into the residence halls without permission because the doors were left open. (!)  I just shake my head that they don’t have an understanding of why I would tell them that it’s not safe to be the only student in a building meant to house 60 or 70 and not tell anyone that you’re there.  Sigh.  I suspect I’m going to have some good stories from this job.

 

Now that I’ve written a novel, I’ll sign off.  Take care!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

JJ I want to thank you for your posts, it gives us a chance to see how you guys are doing and how the children are growing. As Great Aunt and Uncle we love to know how things are and this blog serves a wonderful space in out lives. Some day we hope to visit and get to see everyone up close and personal. God Bless you guys and enjoy this time in your lives.

Don and Debbie in Poway, CA

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...