Monday, December 3, 2007

Turning, Turning, Turning


Big news! Yesterday Maggie turned over! It’s a big deal, she is able to go from front to back now, though we’ve yet to really see the back to front turn-over. Mia kind of skipped this developmental milestone, so we’ve been pestering Maggie by making her do it over and over!

Isaiah is sleeping with Maggie right now while I listen to Mia rummage through the kitchen cabinets. She will come running back to me saying, “Dis? Dis?” and “Tash? Tash?” (translation: this? Trash?) She’s getting pretty good with the words… and actually knows how to say ones I’m not too thrilled with, like “poopie” and “burp.”

Earlier this week I wrote about being tired. I am tired – tired of having a house that I pick up with toys umpteen times a day, tired of having a garbage can that smells like dirty diapers, tired of smelling like vomit all the time, tired of having floors that have bits and pieces of juice stuck to them because I’ve been picking up toys and haven’t mopped floors… tired of hearing that I need to cherish this time when I really think that there are so many parts of it that leave me completely out of my element and floundering, far from leadership, far from insight, far from being intentional…

And I am in love… in love with the feeling of my little girls’ sweat on my arms from their heads as they sleep, sweet and heavy, in love with the smell of Maggie’s breath as she squeals when she sees me, in love with Mia’s practice and obtaining of new words, skills and sounds, in love with the miracle that exists in my children…

This morning, in the quietness of spending time with Mia while listening to Christmas music, I am just in love. I often talk to my students about the importance of living through both valley moments and mountaintop moments in order to understand the richness that comes with life… yet in my own life I am challenged by those same valleys and moutaintops. Ah – how I long for the perspective that will come with time!

I have been a divinity-making machine the past week! What I didn’t realize about making this little candy in a humid climate is that it is totally different from making it in Arizona! Here it is possible that the divinity will not harden and actually turns into something like salt water taffy that the mix master doesn’t appreciate. So much so, that I actually blew out the motor in my mix master on Saturday. Isaiah thought that he could fix it and so it sat in pieces on my dining room table rather the way I imagine unassembled dinosaur bones arrive at the Museum of Natural History. Finally waved the white flag and we headed to Wal-Mart. I actually like the new mix master better than the old because of the beaters (who knew that you can have opinions about so many things?!) but I believe I will hold off on the divinity for awhile. After all, I have plenty of divinity mistakes – we’ve calling them “divine flops” – and I feel confident that I can fill our Christmas goody bags with Peppermint Bark. J

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...