Mia’s 3rd birthday party was a success. Just this morning she dissolved into a puddle of tears when I told her that she couldn’t have another one this week and had to wait until next year when she was 4. I guess being the birthday girl was great fun for her. I wonder what she’ll say in September when Maggie gets to be the birthday girl?
Speaking of Maggie – I realized on Mia’s birthday that Maggie was the exact same age Mia was when Maggie was born. Which means that Mia has now lived half of her life without sharing Mommy & Daddy and half of her life sharing. It was crazy to look at Maggie and remember so clearly how Mia was at the same age. It now seems like they’ve both been with us forever!
And then there are the challenging times.
Like the morning last week when I decorated Maggie with pieces of tape. I actually wasted about half a roll of tape on her because I was trying to catch up on my email while Isaiah took care of getting the girls breakfast, etc.
Maggie escaped from his attention and came over to see what I was doing, which mainly consists of wiping snot on my knees and pulling on my shirt until I pick her up and sit her on my lap. In response to her loving actions I practiced some of my own by adorning her face, her neck, her arms, her belly and her toes with tape.
Not quite as entertaining as putting tape on a cat’s paws, but it’s pretty similar and it kept her quiet for awhile as she pranced around the house scraping frantically at the nearly invisible strips.
The other exciting piece of news is that I got thrown from a galloping horse last weekend. We were out riding some friends horses (it’s becoming kind of regular, something that is an answer to prayer) and we hit a patch of ground with about a 4 inch drop.
The horse didn’t see it coming and neither did I. I also am not anywhere close to accomplished enough as a rider to deal with a bump of that nature, so as Classy was recovering her step my backside came in sharp contact with the saddle and I catapulted over her head.
With my Jedi-moves and cat-like speed and reflexes, I hit the ground rolling and ended up standing. Truthfully my only thought was that I HAD TO STAND IMMEDIATELY because that meant that I wasn’t hurt. (Strangely enough, I’ve talked to two other people who’ve had spills and their responses were the same. We decided that it’s instinct related to flight-or-fight.)
Classy was unhurt and I was banged up a bit but I got back on the horse and we finished our ride. Classy even got to galloping again, which was good because Isaiah told me we passed a garter snake on our way back – I was too distracted to notice!
Unfortunately, my only decent bruise is on my knee! When I have a story like this to tell, I want visible, lurid proof of injury! Alas, my hip, which is still significantly painful, has just one or two itty-bitty, pitiful, mousy dots of blue. Sheesh!
Because I am a bit of a drama queen, my fall and associated aches and pains have been a consistent topic of conversation around the house this week that Mia decided to weigh in on.
“Mommy! You’re like monkeys on da bed! You fall off and bump your head!”
My response? “No, Mia, Mommy didn’t bump her head, she bumped her buttocks!”
“Oh!” Pause. “When I get big, I want a butt-off, too!”
(Visions paraded through my head as I burst into laughter)
Continuing to catalogue our ailments, Isaiah is again missing a big toenail. He’s taken to spending Sunday afternoons on the soccer field, playing for a competitive men’s team in Tulsa. I’ve enjoyed watching the games, though it looks like it will necessitate a change in churches for the time being because of service times.
Isaiah cemented his place in the team this last Sunday when he caught the ball on his chest, dropped it and then sent it sailing into the goal. Everyone was quite excited and Maggie even said, “Go Dada!”
I hardly recognized him because he’s gone from having no facial hair on Valentine’s Day to participating in a “beard-off” with his other techie guys where they haven’t shaved in a month. It’s the heart, not the facial hair, that counts, right?
That’s the update from here. We’re headed to Branson for spring break next week and also to hopefully cheer our OWU Eagles on to a National Championship in men’s Division II basketball. They’re currently ranked #1, which is really exciting. I’ve decided to take credit for it… after all, the Arizona Wildcats won the Championship while I was at U of A and then IU went to the Championship game while I was at grad school… I think I bring good luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment