Sunday, March 29, 2009

Tinkle, Tinkle, Little Star

I got started yesterday writing an update about the snow that we received due to the warm front moving up from Texas and the cold front from the Dakotas deciding to do a little do-si-do over Oklahoma, resulting in a deluge of snow after several days of 80 degree weather.

But today Maggie tinkled in the potty.

What kind of crazy National Emergency Weather situation can compete with news like that?!

Maggie has been quite interested in the potty for awhile now, but we basically ignore her and tell her not to touch. Just like with Mia, I tell her that she can’t flush the toilet or touch the toilet paper unless she’s actually done some business in the potty.

I guess Mia’s been educating her as well.

Regardless of the reasoning, ever since Spring Break Maggie has been asking us to put her on the potty. She can’t talk yet, so this request involves her walking up, smacking her own behind and saying, “um, hum, blah, bletch,” with a concerned look upon her face. Sometimes she includes breathy consonant sounds that might slightly resemble “poopie,” but, hey, let’s be honest – that’s a stretch to say the least.

Every time she asks, however, we stop what we’re doing and set her on the potty. Up until today she had put three toots in the potty - but today, today was a new, shiny and lovely day… she did it!

I have no hopes that she’ll be potty trained any time soon, but it’s still a big thing for us.

As was the snow (I can get back to the original update now!). It snowed all day long yesterday and by 4 p.m. we couldn’t keep the girls in the house any longer. We busted out the sled and headed toward the college where we located the best hill on campus that doesn’t have a tree looming at the bottom.

It was so fun!

For them.

For us, it involved wading through the snow and huffing and puffing. Isaiah had rigged up this leash extension that let us slide the reins of the sled around our waists. It is a VAST improvement, but at one point while I was pulling them along and waiting for Mia to yell, “Mush, Mommy! Mush!” I paused to realize that parenting is really pretty ridiculous.

If anyone but my own flesh and blood had asked me to wander around in the snow, cold and dragging approximately 55 lbs. of weight and call it “fun” I would probably have rolled my eyes and told them to take a hike. And yet, I do it, willingly, on the off chance that they might actually giggle. This, my friends, is either pure insanity or a sign of an unhealthy relationship.

And I love it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...