Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter

I woke up this morning, realizing it was Easter and remembered back to a time when things were quiet, orderly and properly sacred on Easter morning. I even remembered how very much I enjoy a sunrise service.

However, that was not how our Easter morning played out.

At 9:56 I was in the kitchen, frantically ironing Mia & Maggie’s Easter dresses. They wouldn’t have needed ironing if A) hubby & I hadn’t buckled last month and let them wear the dresses the first time it was 80 degree weather or B) I had bothered to think ahead and actually iron them prior to today. Instead, there I was, ironing in my pajamas, hair sticking off the top of my head and left-over makeup circles under my eyes, listening to the girls and Isaiah play leap frog in the living room.

I had a vision of my own mother ironing the dresses my sister and I wore for dress-up occasions. I used to think she was slightly crazy to put so much effort into it, but as I ironed, wishing I had spray starch for the cotton dresses, I realized that strangely enough, ironing those dresses was an outward sign of the internal love I have for those silly little girls. I guess maybe my mom loved us a little, too.

At 10:02 I hollered, “The dresses are on the hangers and ready – I’ve got to go get ready myself,” to Isaiah as I flew by the living room at mach speed. A hair spray-down and makeup remover second later he came into the bedroom.

“Why are you in such a panic?” he asked. “Because the service starts at 10:20!” I gasped out around the toothbrush I was maneuvering around my mouth with my right hand while brushing my hair with my hairbrush in my left hand.

“What?! I thought the service started at 11!”

Isaiah shifted into mach speed.

At precisely 10:38 we fled the house, spirits hardly in the mood for Easter services. After a hasty conversation about the pros and cons of arriving 25 minutes late to 50 minute service our church venue changed. We went to another church that had a 10:45 service. We were right on time.

Other conversations in our household lately?

Daddy: Mia, why aren’t you eating your hamburger?

Mia: Because, Daddy! I don’t have much teeth!

Mia (in her cheerleader singsong voice): Maggie, when you say no, I say yes

Maggie: No

Mia: Yes

Maggie: No!

Mia: Yes!

Mommy: Maggie, would you like some cinnamon roll?

Maggie: No

Mia: Yes!

After church we came home for naps and now we’ve just finished eating our Easter dinner (with carrot soufflĂ©, Isaiah’s “cloud of wonderfulness”) and Isaiah and Mia are playing Candyland in the living room. We opened an Easter gift from family and I got one Easter photo shoot. Which I have presented for your viewing pleasure.

Later tonight I plan to plot how I can fit about 20 hours of work into 10 hours… while also squeezing in Candyland and Ring Around the Rosie. I can’t complain.

1 comment:

Kelly Benware said...

Fun to catch up on your lives...glad you're doing well and that the girls are sooo adorable. Easter is so fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...