Funny thing, I intended to write this morning anyway about the fact that Maggie’s been wearing panties since last Tuesday (yippee!) and she is wearing her first set of pig tails. I guess I’ll write a little more about that anyway, but it has all been eclipsed by the drama of the coat.
The weather here has played a trick on us and gone from 60s and 70s to 30s overnight. It is a huge bummer and necessitated pulling out the winter jackets.
Now, we knew that Mia would need a new coat this year and already got it for her – green with a pink fleece inside. It has a hood and – oh! The excitement! - a scarf!
Maggie will be wearing Mia’s coat from last year. We just couldn’t locate it.
This has been a several week long process. We’ve emptied tubs of baby clothes, cleaned out closets, and generally scoured the house for the coats put away from last winter, all to no avail. I knew that the Oklahoma Indian Summer wouldn’t last...
After sending Isaiah to the garage to search through the snowboarding box I knew we were in trouble. When he announced the there were NO coats in the snowboarding box I decided to search the hall closet once again.
And there I found it... The unopened tub hiding behind formal dresses and Isaiah’s wetsuit. The tub containing our warmth for the winter.
Out came Maggie’s pink coat from last winter. Out came Mia’s pink coat from last winter (are you seeing the theme here?).
Into Mia’s old coat went Maggie.
Onto the floor in a fit of devastation went Mia.
Mia wanted a pink coat. She wanted her old coat. She wanted a new coat that was pink and looked exactly like her old coat.
In order to rub salt in the wound, Maggie was dancing through the house in her new pink jacket, cooing in pleasure.
I assured Mia that the inside of her coat was pink and that it would be ok. She wanted to wear Maggie’s old pink coat (18 months size).
It was a challenge. But in the end I convinced Mia that her coat was ok because it had a pink scarf.
They tramped out the door with Daddy to go to school and I collapsed on the floor. Seriously – does it have to be this hard???
Here's the photo we took from just moments before the coat war broke out:
They were taken in honor of Maggie’s first piggy tails.
Remember the photo from Mia on her first piggy tail day?
My... How time flies.
1 comment:
at what age does the whole "there are children around the world who don't have clothes and will go to bed hungry tonight so appreciate what you got" start working?
i'm thinking about 25.
Post a Comment