Monday, February 11, 2008

You put your right leg in...

Feel free to begin humming along with me… this week I went to the “Okie Pokey”!  I put my right hand in… my right hand out… my right hand down and I shook it all about…

 

I’m in the process of getting my real estate license here in Oklahoma and I needed to be fingerprinted so that the state can do a background check on me.  So… I went to jail in Nowata and the deputy did the honors.

 

It was my first visit to a jail, ever, and frankly I realized how naïve I am.  I was standing there, right next to a barred door and listening to the inmates’ t.v., reading a white board that had the names of the residents and how long they were there written on it.  The jail was underneath the courthouse and there were no windows… and I read that at least two people were there for six months.  Unbelievable.

 

I looked down at Maggie, asleep in the car seat on the floor by the desk, and thanked God for how sheltered I have been and that I can gleefully write that I’ve been in the Okie Pokey with no true understanding of what that means.  Harrumph.

 

In other news, Mia will be 2 on Saturday.  Doesn’t time fly?  I’m so proud of her – in just the last few days she has learned to not only say she’s two when you ask her how old she is, but also hold up the fingers!  She’s also in love with the letter “B” and will screech with joy whenever she sees one – on a snack bar price list, student ID card, anything.  She amazes me.

 

Maggie amazes me in an entirely different way.  I am pleased to report that the cherub has had not one, not two, but three consecutive days with bowel movements!!!!  My joy is complete.

 

I tried to talk the students I work with for the school publication into writing an editorial about Valentine’s Day today.  I was denied.  I put forth strong arguments and appealed to their sense of humor… but no response.  They hate Valentine’s Day and wish for a “Singles Awareness Day,” and one young man stated that Valentine’s Day was evil because at the end of it men have no money.  They had all of the elements right there for a fantastically amusing story.  Ah, these are the same kids who think it’s ok to ask someone out over Facebook.  Pick up the phone, why don’t you????

 

I believe that’s all I have for now.  But I leave you with this thought – I am desperate for updates!  I haven’t gotten any from people in the longest time… and I miss you!  I need to know what’s going on and I really think that you should hit reply right now and give me the scoop.  Please?  Don’t break my heart – it’s already bruised over my rejection regarding the Valentine’s Day article… At least write back and tell me that Maggie’s video made you smile… J

 

 

1 comment:

Rock Crushes Scissors said...

6 months in jail?

my uncle's been in washington county jail for 3 years.

workin' on his 45 year sentence.

i wished i could write a story about his experience in there, but i would feel too exploitative.

p.s. valentines day doesn't suck. i wasn't in class to defend you that day. i don't celebrate kwanzaa do i don't complain, hence why i don't complain about valentines day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...