It’s time for my Tuesday morning confessions.
Ready?
For about a week and a half now Isaiah and I have been bantering back and forth about whether we could ever live in Alaska. I don’t know why, but we will choose a place and analyze it and see if it could one day be called home. Right now it’s Alaska.
I was hesitant from the beginning because of the lack of warm weather, but was quite intrigued by the idea of a pumpkin I could literally carve into Cinderella’s carriage for the girls, since the pictures from the Alaska State Fair show that the produce grows quite large in its limited growth time.
Isaiah and I have talked about the likelihood of me literally going insane if trapped in home for the several weeks of winter. I countered with the thought process that if I had some excellent books with me I could probably handle it.
But the weather here in Oklahoma has caused a serious crack in my endorsement of the Alaska-idea.
For three days (oh, heavens, no! Not three days!) we have been under weather watch. On Sunday I didn’t venture outside at all. On Monday, school was cancelled for the girls and we were inside. Maggie had a doctor’s appointment, so we stuck our noses outside around 2:30 in the afternoon, when it had warmed up to a balmy 26 degrees and was sunny, and went to the doctor’s office, Big Lots, and home. I counted it as a successful trip and thought it was a positive point on my imaginary Alaska journey.
But last night the pilot light on our heater went out. And it was – goodness gracious! - 62 degrees in the house when we woke up. I was too chilled to consider washing my hair and put my makeup on while alternately directing the blow dryer to my cold hands.
I left for work (another confession, I am so excited to go to work it’s ridiculous!) and it was 18 degrees outside. I drove 12 miles an hour, pulling over to let the 30 mph daredevils pass me on the road.
I experienced the joy of all-wheel drive as our Yukon slipped its way toward the college.
And at the end, when I sadly realized that, even with the Carhartt jacket I stole from Isaiah after my snowboarding jacket wouldn’t zip over my ever-expanding belly, I am cold. And I don’t know when I will thaw out.
Alaska can not be a part of our dream.
The dream is dead. Like the poor little animals who will not thaw out until spring. Bummer.
JJ
1 comment:
JJ, Do NOT let you dream of pioneering in Alaska die!!! (Haha)You could totally do it. Alaska and Oklahoma are completely different. It is cold, and dark most the winter, but it is beautiful, and the people there tend to help one another out. There is this sense there like, we are Alaskans, we are in this together. I used to live there, and Dave and I honeymooned there, and I love it. We, too, have often asked ouselves whether or not we could live there if we needed to. The cold is very different then in OK. It isn't a humid cold, so it doesn't sink straight to your bones and leave you chilled. Plus, there are many adventures to behold! I think you 4 (almost 5) could definitely do it!
Post a Comment