Thursday, January 21, 2010

I see baby!

Often times I spend my time talking about Mia when I send updates. I think that’s because I’ve known her longest and she has the clearest communication skills. And she tends to dominate whatever situation she’s in. And she’s bossy.

HOWEVER, Maggie is developing into a personality th
at is every bit as strong, if not stronger than Mia. (What is it with our kids?!) Maggie is our little smiler, ticklish and full of giggles, and very, very protective.

Our mornings usually go something like this:

The girls come into the bedroom and wake me up. I groan, moan, and eventually stick my toes out from under the covers, which lets them know I will eventually come out. Then they take off to harrass each other and play with dolls until I arrive in the living room with milk and juice for them. Isaiah, the night owl of the family, typically gets to sleep in until I send Maggie in to wake him up with hugs and kisses.

This morning was a little bit different.

Maggie showed up on her own and crawled into bed. She used my face as a push-off point, them moved to go over the top of me, basically putting her entire weight on any area of my body that might be tender. It was not my favorite way to wake up.

But once she got where she was going she took my face in her hands and demanded, “I see baby!”

So... I reluctantly moved the bedcovers out of the way so she could see my belly.

And she then grabbed my tummy around the sides and gave it a big hug, followed by a kiss, and said, “Morning, sister!”

I thought that was pretty sweet. But then she put her head down on my belly and started listening. After a few moment she announced that the baby was crying. I said I didn’t think so.

“What saying?” Maggie asked. “She’s saying she loves her sister Maggie,” I answered.

Maggie beamed and directed her words toward my navel, “Love you, too, baby!”

That’s a good way to start the day!

(I’ve had to take a break from writing this because I got out of bed with Maggie, started writing, and then realized Maggie had been in the bathroom. I walked to the door – 10 feet from where I type – and discovered she’s placed the contents of the toilet paper roll in the toilet in her attempt to wipe herself, rather than tell me she needs help with the potty. Independent little cuss.)

During my last post I spent time trying to decide when you say, “enough is enough!” and stop living in dual roles of both mother and professional. I thought it might be interesting to let you know that in the past week I’ve had several separate instances that have given me a sense of peace. About continuing to sit on this fence for awhile longer...

Not only are my kids great (with patches of misery, but hey, that’s just life) but in the past week a handful of students have come forward to ask for help with drug use, a student has come to me to talk about their struggle with same-sex attraction, and another student who transferred to the school at semester to be with their significant other got here and discovered that their significant other wanted to be with someone else.

The easiest indication of why it’s needed for me to stick to my dual roles to explain came from listening, really listening to some some song lyrics: “Greater things are yet to come, greater work is yet to be done in this city.”

At no point will I deliberately choose a student over my family. At the same time, I have children who have a pretty solid view of the world that people are good and that they are cared for. When we walk onto campus for a basketball game, they don’t want to stay with Isaiah and me! They want to be in the stands, hanging out with the students and enjoying the opportunity to learn things. Mia has discovered how to tie her shoes, a skill I never even considered teaching her at this point, because one of our students taught her. (“Round the tree, in the rabbit hole...”)

That may seem silly or obscure, or even negligent to people who would criticize that the only place for a mother is in the home. I can respect their opinions and support their parenting style... But I also know that there are some people – and this is me – who can choose to parent in a different way and still have pretty awesome kids.

The other, last point I have come to consider... Even if I were a full-time homemaker would be volunteering with something or another that would likely keep me as busy as my job keeps me. And I believe that humans were create to strive. We are all given different levels of energy, abilities and giftings. But I truly believe we were also all given a “Quest” of the Lancelot and King Arthur variety. Once we find our “quest” we are compelled to do something about it... Or live consistently in disillusionment.

Wow. I’ve gotten wordy again. Sorry!

Now time to rescue the box of Cheez-its from Maggie who has decided they make great pieces of confetti to adorn our living room floor! Another day begins and we’re off to the races. I wouldn’t want it any other way.

JJ


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about the post before this one. I struggle with that too, feeling like I'm deserting my family for my job. it was worse when the kids were younger. At that time Joel was in the lower elementary grades and I think I was probably bemoaning the fact that I had to work and leave them. He said to me "But mom, you help people." Kind of put in all in perspective. JJ, you help people and I'm glad you're at OWU!
Ruth Stedwell

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great posts!! I love reading your blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...