Monday, May 10, 2010

Thoughts about Graduating...

It’s graduation season here and we’ve hit the bittersweet point of breathing a sigh of relief that we have finished another year and a sense of mourning for the good friends who will be leaving us to start their “grown up” lives.


Not only have several really special people to me graduated here in Oklahoma, this also marks the year that a group of really, really special women I worked with in the youth group in Sedona years ago graduate. It’s a changing of season, the end of an era, and a time that makes me pause and reflect.

I’ve decided (with my typical lack of humility) what I would say if I were asked to give a graduation message to these lovely people going to make their way into the world.

#1. There is a leadership vacuum waiting, longing to be filled.
As I was thinking about these incredible students who are graduating I realized that they all have the ability to pursue leadership on any level that they choose. It’s really exciting to see the capabilities in them. And I also realized that perhaps not all of them realize that they are leaders, or that they can really change the world around them.

So, here’s my two cents. We all want to be led. Every one of us. Some want to be led only for a short time, some for their entire lives. But we all want to have someone to believe in and follow and admire. Sometimes the only thing that separates the leaders from the followers is the ability to stand firm instead of shrinking away when the opportunity presents itself.

This world is in desperate need of leadership. You can fill the vacuum.

#2. The choices you make today are important.
Just a few minutes ago I posted a wonderful forward called Invisible Mothers on my blog. It was given to me by a dear friend as a Mother’s Day remembrance. The overwhelming realization I have when I read it is that the choices I make today will make a significant difference for the future.

So, word of advice, live each day thoughtfully, intentionally. Without the thought and intention you will wake up sometime, (insert age here – for me it’s “in your 30s”) and realize that you don’t really like the adult and person you have unwittingly become. Daily choices shape your character.

#3. You are important.
In the midst of all of this transition, remember that you are valuable. You are significant. There have been seasons in my life (who am I trying to kid – I’m in one right now!) where it’s so hectic and busy and your priorities aren’t at all focused on yourself and you suddenly look in the mirror and actually see a person you don’t recognize. This just happened to me – Isaiah complimented me on how I’m looking post-partum and I was surprised! I hadn’t looked in the mirror at myself since before the baby was born...

Not that I’m advocating spending all your time going gaga over your reflection, but I am encouraging you to take care of yourself. Do the things that nourish your soul so that you have the ability to bless others from your own abundance.

OK, so now I’m done being philosophical... Well, sort of. It seems that I do have something else to say.


Don’t forget us. We won’t ever forget you.

And please, be the role models that these girls need. The time will come when all the questionable coolness I currently possess (!) will wear off and I will be in dire need of someone to be real and transparent with these girls. Will you live your life so that when the time comes I can pass the torch off to you without hesitation?

Thanks. Love you.

JJ


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...