I have just been informed by my little one that she is allowed to have jelly beans because “me’s two.” “Me’s two” has been the excuse for any number of sugar-induced desires. It’s my own fault – for her birthday I let her have anything she wanted because it was her birthday and she was two. Now, it’s coming back to bite me in the form of jelly beans, cinnamon rolls, sweet tarts, Snickers bars, Twizzlers, and any other miscellaneous candies with which she comes in contact.
It’s hard to tell her no today, though. She woke up with a nasty fever – Maggie was sick with it last week and now it’s moved to Mia. I felt so sorry for her as she sat next to me on the sofa. We watched Elmo and “Supers” (Super Why!) until she fell asleep and then she napped for five hours. I think she’s feeling better, although she still has a fever.
When she woke up this afternoon she also let me know that she had “naps” in her eyes. She meant “sleep.” She’s so darn cute!
Maggie has just collapsed into a little ball of sleep herself. I taught class today and when I came back through the door she actually jumped and writhed around she was so excited to see me. Now, if that isn’t validating and cool I don’t know what is!
Yesterday I had the opportunity to go see Annie, the musical. It was really cool, but I hadn’t realized that in addition to “The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow” and all those chummy feelings that it really is a political play with a strong undercurrent of desperation and poverty. As I read reports of our potential economic recession I realize just how fragile my world is. I was sobered by the play as much as entertained.
I suppose that’s about all from here – just a snapshot of our day. I have to go convince my two-year-old that peanut butter and jelly sandwich is just as nice as jelly beans.
No comments:
Post a Comment