While we were in Dallas this weekend we celebrated both my birthday and a woman on the soccer team, Tera’s birthday. Tera got a balloon which Mia and Maggie promptly confiscated and it has been floating around our car for two days while they bat at it and giggle with joy.
However, great distress visited our household this afternoon when the balloon, buffeted by the unpredictable Oklahoma winds which went racing through the car, escaped and began to soar high in the sky.
[Outraged scream from Mia.]
“Mommy, my balloon! My balloon, I want my balloon NOW!!”
“Oh, Mia, I’m so sorry – that balloon is all gone!”
[Mia collapses and begins to wail as she stretches her arms to the sky]
“Mommy, I miss my balloon!”
“I know, Mia – but your balloon is going away, I can’t reach it. (sudden inspiration strikes) Your balloon is going into the sky to visit God!”
“Mommy, I need a balloon. Take me to Wal-Mart for a new balloon!” (This is proof of my addiction to Wal-Mart – or that my child is fascinated by the balloons she sees there… hard to tell.)
“Sorry, honey, we aren’t going to get another balloon today. Wave goodbye to the balloon!”
[Time passes and now Isaiah is home from work. The first words out of Mia’s mouth:]
“Daddy, my balloon go away and visit God. It’s ok, don’t worry, Mommy get me new balloon from Wal-Mart.” (Hasn’t happened yet, but hope springs eternal)
“Oh really, baby-girl? I’m sorry your balloon went away.”
[Mia fixes Daddy with a stern stare.]
“Don’t worry, Daddy, you get ladder and climb up high to reach balloon.”
I don’t know much, but I think it’s a special thing when your child truly thinks you can reach into the very heights of the heavens to solve all the problems in her world.
On another note, please send up a prayer for my dad. He had knee replacement surgery two weeks ago and was recuperating well, we thought, but early this morning had a nasty spill and convulsions… this afternoon he was medivac’d down to the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale and will be receiving a blood transfusion this evening. I don’t know the official terminology for what’s going on, but basically he’s been taking blood thinners so that he doesn’t get clots and I guess that when his appetite slacked off this medicine built up in his blood and made him sick. He was critical condition this afternoon but is currently the next step down, so he is improving. Right now my mom and sister are telling me not to fly out, they think he’s on the up side of this new adventure, but I may be taking a plane trip with Maggie shortly… we’ll see.
Anyway, that’s the update from our lives. Hope you’re doing well and I appreciate your prayers.
No comments:
Post a Comment