
Instead I woke up to this:
“Mommy, can I have a donut for breakfast?”
I begin my day by wiping drool off my cheek and wondering why anyone would reproduce little beings whose internal alarm clock follows the rising and setting of the sun.
Oh! Donut! Focus! Donuts are not our normal breakfast food, even on vacation.
“Mia, what kind of crazy kid are you?!”
Hardly a pause in the conversational rhythm.
“I don’t know, but can I have a donut??”
It was too early in the morning. I caved and said yes.
In response Mia backed away with her arms outstretched but her hands curled toward her chest and clicked twice with her tongue.
Then she was gone.
Mia and Maggie have been little whirlwinds around. They have plenty of attention from Auntie Sami, Uncle Geoffrey and my mom and dad. It’s kind of gone to their heads.
For example, when we were getting ready for bed last night Isaiah read the girls a story of the Bernstein Bears. When it was done there were disappointed howls all the way around because it meant that bedtime could not be escaped or put off any longer.
“Please, please, please read another story,” Mia howled.
“No, Mia,” Daddy said. “It’s already 10 p.m. and it’s WAY past your bedtime. We’ll have to read another one tomorrow.”
“But Daddy,” Mia protested, “’Please’ is a honey word and if I say it I bet you’ll give it to me!”
Oh, how quickly they learn how to manipulate to get their way!
I’ve been reading James Dobson’s newest book, “Bringing up Girls.” It’s amazing! I highly recommend it to anyone but particularly to the parents of little gals out there.
It was so nice to read his recommendations of how fathers can be involved and supportive of their daughters and realize that I’m traveling with three men who know how to do this excellently.
My dad was an awesome dad to me, someone who always gave me honest answers and also set healthy boundaries.
My husband, gifted with an ability to work with kids in general and our girls specifically.
And my brother-in-law, Geoffrey, who is excellent with my niece and has also received honorary sainthood from my kids as he’s spent the last several days playing make believe and reading stories practically non-stop.
Half of my stories wouldn’t be nearly as funny – ever – as they are to me because I have a husband who gives me the support needed to find the humor in the chaos and unfortunate experiences of toddler life!
Just grateful for these men!


JJ
1 comment:
both of those picture are so precious...i love them!
Post a Comment