Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Battle of the Goat and the Dane


The battle of the bulge it is not, but the battle of the Goat and the Dane has been a fun amusement this morning.

I woke up late, to the sound of Samba, the fearful (yes, fearful, not fearless) Great Dane, barking frantically. Because she's roughly the size of a dumptruck, the resulting "woof" has the capability to shake the floor boards.

When I emerged, hair wild and nightclothes in disarray, I found a small, innocent-looking goat standing on the porch. A goat with brown and white coloring and two dainty horns.

Those horns were pointed out and the head was in "head-butting" position, pointed toward Samba. With gentle menace the goat – named "Daisy" - stomped her right front hoof.

Samba executed a full retreat, claws scrambling for purchase on the deck. In a flash there was nothing on the deck but Daisy the goat and a sway of the doggie door.

Samba was in her crate crying for her Mommy.

She's so brave.

Daisy stood her ground, flanks and ears trembling, and licked her soft, hairy lips. Giving credit where credit is due, she did not even bleat a taunt at her thoroughly defeated foe's backside.

She's a classy dame.

As I continued to get ready for the day I kept hearing scrambling at the doggie door. Samba would stick her head out of the door, her entire body still entirely inside the house, and bark at Daisy. Daisy would look at Samba and Samba would scramble to her crate of safety.

It may or may not be a little-known personal fact about me, but I spend my childhood being raised by goats. Some are raised by wolves, but me, I was a goat-friendly gal.

The Goat Whisperer you might say.

With extensive years of goat wrangling under my belt and an attitude of "why can't we all just get along?" I entered the fray.

Daisy was happy to see me. The victor is always able to be gracious. She pranced right on over and said hello in a goat-y sort of way.

Samba seemed to think that I was in a threatening situation and completely lost her head. Her desire to provide cover from the perceived goat attack even gave her enough gumption to get her entire body out of the doggie door! She barked maniacally and Daisy looked at her and Samba retreated.

Apparently, in some realms, we all cannot just get along after all.

Great Dane: 0. Goat: 1.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...