Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Just an update... nothing more.

I have been awful about keeping you all informed about Mikayla's milestones. Now, the possibility exists that you don't really care, but since I actually started writing these updates so that you could feel like you know what's going on in our family even though you're far away, I feel remiss if I don't bore you with the details every once in awhile.

So, it is with pride I tell you Mikayla can now roll over both to the front and to the back, both ways of rotation. She's been able to do that for a little while. But, honestly, when it's child #3 I'm discovering that I'm much less likely to check the baby books and fret over a cough than just drink the joy of having a child who beams when they see you! Milestones are less important when you're mostly concerned that they're alive, kicking, and not screaming down the roof (and that the other kids aren't burning the roof down on top of you!).

Just in the last few days Mikayla has mastered the art of sitting up on her own. The scary news is that this means she's just a little step away from crawling and oh my, how our life will change then (thank goodness we've never un-babyproofed the house!) but the good news is that this little milestone has a tremendous positive affect on life.


Specifically, we can use a high chair at a restaurant and the shopping cart seat in a store instead of trying to shovel food in our mouths one handed or sweating in the Moby wrap through every trip to Wal-Mart because the baby I'm wearing is a heater.

And the skies open up and angels begin to sing the Hallelujah Chorus in response to the shafts of joy in my body!

In addition to being the most content member of our family, Mikayla is also the most famous. Last week we were at a soccer game and the local paper had a photographer there as well. She asked if she could take some shots of Mikayla, we said yes and caught her pointing her telephoto lens toward us several times. When the paper came out, there was Mikayla, right on the front page!

The unfortunate part is that there wasn't actually a picture of the soccer game in the paper, but hey, why focus on community reporting when you can simply put a picture of a bald baby wearing a big bow on her head on the front page along with stories about local politicians?! She was definitely cuter than they were!

The rest of the family is doing well. Isaiah is mid-soccer season and, for the first time since we've come here, the team has won as many games as they've lost. This is QUITE rewarding… It's the first team that he's worked with that is wholly women's he's recruited and it seems to really make a difference.

I've been busy trying to keep my head attached to my body. It seems to be going well so far. A good friend of mine delivered triplet boys today and I'm hoping that I will have my act together enough to actually be of assistance to her and her family as the transition begins!

Mia… Well, she's just full of it. She is insanely curious, practicing her handwriting and reading some basic words. I like her. She's growing up too fast, though. Facebook and Twitter have become my scrapbooks for remembering all the funny things she and her sister say.

Maggie is in a state of bliss today because she spent the day playing in the yard. The weather is still hot and our yard has been the mosquito mecca for what feels like an eternity! After avoiding the yard for weeks, today we finally pulled the bug spray out and let the girl go wild. Maggie's been swinging like a maniac and chasing Samba all day. It's nice to be a happy-go-lucky three-year-old!

We also have Popi and Mima here at the house for a visit. They are amazing at having a pair of hands and a loving smile ready at all times. We are very spoiled!

That's the update!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...