Wednesday, December 8, 2010

High Heels

This morning Mia tried to convince Isaiah that she needed to wear her heeled church shoes to school. They are very small heels, but they do tap as she walks, which is part of their charm.

Mia announced that they'd be playing in the gym today and those were the only shoes that wouldn't slip on the floor.

When Isaiah heard her say this, I believe it offended him to his sneaker-loving, soccer-coach core.

In response to this assault my husband exposed his feminist side, unpredictably and charmingly reminding me of one of the many reasons I love him.

And how lucky I am that he's a Daddy to three girls.

He told Mia that she would Absolutely Not be wearing heeled shoes to school and came to where I was getting ready in the bathroom to describe the argument.

After describing the disagreement (Mia pulled out all the stops to try to convince him that the heeled shoes would be the perfect choice for gym time), Isaiah announced:

"Our girls are NOT going to be wearing high heels to school!"

I nodded. I could see it would be wise to say nothing.

He went on to talk about how women were being subjugated by the whims of fashion and willing to live their lives in discomfort for superficial reasons.

"Women only wear high heels because we've trained them to wear them and they think guys like them!" he exclaimed.

Preach it! I thought to myself, nodding wildly.

"No woman wakes up in the morning and says, 'Oh! High heels! My favorite shoes! I think I'll go hiking in these!'"

"I've never been hiking in high heels!" I averred.

He paused in his tirade, appearing a bit surprised that I had spoken.

"I agree with you!" I assured him.

Isaiah looked at me long and hard.

"She's not wearing high heels to school," he said with finality.

"No, she's not," I said.

The dress-shoe-hating love of my life took a deep breath, blew it out, and nodded his head definitively.

"OK," he said. And walked out of the room.

That's all he had to say about that.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...