Mia is in the corner singing a heartfelt, upbeat, "Oh, Oh, yeah, oooo, Oh, Oh, Yeah… You're the greatest in the world, oh, oh yeah," while Maggie strums on a full-sized guitar that dwarfs her body. It's the first time I've heard her croon quite like this and I didn't realize Maggie had such strumming skill, but… Well, it adds to the adventure of the day!
This kiddos slept until 7:39 a.m. this morning! I pranced upstairs with them singing the Hallelujah Chorus! Then I changed a diaper, fed them all and got ready for a coffee date with a good friend. It was a lovely start to the day.
It only got better from there. I grew up with a cool family and now all of us have grown up and have families of our own. We met at a park and let our horde of children run wild while we caught up. It was wonderful. All together we had 12 children under age 9 and almost as many adults (our age is a respectable 29. All of us.).
Having filled ourselves up with the joy of home and community, Isaiah and I decided that the real cherry on top would be a trip to Wal-Mart. Who doesn't love Wal-Mart?! It was inside the Wally-World bathroom that Mia walked up to Maggie, started slapping her face, then asked, "Is this annoying?"
I'm thinking by the resulting squeal from Maggie that, yes, it was annoying.
Where does Mia come up with this stuff?! It's impossible to say. She's hilarious, she's exasperating, she's one of a kind!
After we got home we had the Pajama Melt Down of December 27 (as opposed to the Great Pajama Meltdown of December 26 or the Waffle Meltdown of December 25. I'm certain that we are now on the eve of the Great Fingernail Cutting Meltdown of December 28).
This particular Pajama Meltdown was because the flannel ones chosen for tonight make Mia sweat. As she collapsed into a forlorn heap in the kitchen floor Maggie walked up and said, "Mia you are not using your honey words. Those are vinegar words – do I need to get some vinegar for you to taste?"
That's the first time Maggie's turned the table on Mia. Mia is frequently telling Maggie what her consequences are, but Maggie hasn't had the verbal skills to shoot back until now. The other thing I've been noticing is that every time Mia gets in trouble, Maggie is immediately behaving phenomenally. However, when Maggie gets in trouble, Mia skulks around in the doorways trying to overhear everything we say to her. I really need to read the birth order book to find out if this is typical behavior.
Mia has been busy with more than meltdowns (they just add spice to our lives and grey to our hair). In addition to performing her chorus of ooos and ahhs tonight, a few nights ago to stood in front of the t.v. and preached a sermon on the birth of Jesus and the salvation plan to my brother-in-law. When he had the audacity to glance at the t.v. while she was talking she stopped, pointed the pointing finger of conviction straight at him, and said, "You pay attention now! This is important!"
He obeyed. (And I had a moment of recollection of the 8 a.m. psychology class I substituted for this semester where I looked at a sleeping student from the front of the classroom and said, "Hello, (Buehler)? If I can't sleep today in class, neither can you – we're in this together, my friend!") She's no Billy Graham at this point, but she does have passion and creativity.
The last bit of news I have is that I've started a campaign to take my parent's dog, Sophie, home with us. She's the little poodle I got for them two years ago. We met in Amarillo, TX and I delivered a white fluffball small enough to fit into a 16 oz cup. She's terrorized them since then and now that they've gotten her pretty well trained I think it would be awesome if she came to live with us.
They aren't so keen on that idea. Which means that, randomly, I'm in the market for a little girl poodle – know anyone who wants to give me a good one?? Don't you think that a Great Dane and a Poodle are an awesome combination?! I see good stories in the future…


No comments:
Post a Comment