I was scared to get out of bed this morning.
Isaiah got up early with the girls, giving me the space to welcome the day on my own schedule.
Suffice to say it's the end of the school year, graduation is tomorrow, the governor is coming to campus for a fundraiser tonight, the normal stresses of life are currently escalated.
I did my devotional and was reminded of Deborah, and a book I read that espoused Deborah was only in leadership to shame the men of Israel because they weren't leading as men should. (I found no Biblical basis for this philosophy.). But it brought back my constant struggle with feeling called to work with college students as well as called to be at home with my kiddos.
Got out of bed, took Mia to school and recognized how much she's grown in the past year. Instead of a little one walking uncertainly to her classroom I have a rambunctious girl the size of a 7 year old confidently flying down the hallway toward a day of activities she loves.
In the car I watched Maggie interact with Mikayla in a really kind, mature way. She deserved monkey bread, so we headed to Taco Bueno.
(If you're getting bored with the minutiae of our daily routine don't worry, I'm almost to the point!)
When the guy at Taco Bueno asked how I was I smiled and said, "Fine - no, actually, I'm fine but my head is all over the place!"
All of the sudden words came pouring from his mouth.
"I feel that way too! This job is very stressful and all I want to do is go somewhere where it's sunny, I'm on a beach and no one can talk to me!" He went on to describe his dream in deep detail.
Then he abruptly stopped, asked if I wanted salsa with my monkey bread, handed me my food, said "have a good day!" and closed the drive thru window.
Which leaves me pondering... Just how many people woke up this morning scared to get out of bed? How many people are overwhelmed? Uncertain of their roles? Happy but nervous?
And, most importantly for me, what can I do to help?
That's my morning story...
1 comment:
It amazes me that we always answer "fine" when someone asks and yet there are days that are anything but "fine". The worries of life and dealing with those issues that there are no easy answers to tend to dominate some days. Yet we are "fine".
Thanks for this post. I sure hope he didn't get into trouble with his boss for being honest..
I appreciate you and Isaiah and the example you have become and continue to be to those around you.
God Bless
Uncle Don
Post a Comment