Friday, February 12, 2010

It's the little things that change your life!

This is going to seem pretty silly to most of you, I’m certain, but I just had a shockingly simple revelation.

Today was the day that Mia & Maggie celebrated Valentine’s Day at their school.  Mia had an actual party and Maggie exchanged Valentine’s with her classmates.

We had a great little lunch where I got to giggle because Maggie is absolutely smitten with a little boy in her class named Owen.  She pronounces his name, “Oh-ween” with a little Oklahoma twang and couldn’t stop talking about him all through lunch.

Time for naps and since little Mikayla (at least that’s her name for now) kept me up from 3 am till dawn last night I snuggled down into the bed with the girls.

They dozed off and I was replaying the events of the day – trying to figure out why other parents send candy gifts home with preschoolers that require you to give your kids a lollipop or face an emotional Armageddon, and how on Earth I was going to compare to the awesome Valentine’s party Mia described when it’s my turn to sponsor the class party next month.  (By the way, I’m still open to suggestions!)

I was thinking about this, looking at the girls and wondering how it would be when there are three of them, and started praying that God would help me to be a good mother to them.

Then it hit me: I don’t have to be a “good” mother.  I just have to be the mother that God gifted me to be.

Isn’t that simple?  Why did it take me so long to realize that in this context?!  It’s ok that I’m not a mom who can make beautiful and yummy frosted heart cookies with sprinkles for the preschool party!  And it’s absolutely ok and wonderful that the cookie-sprinkle mom exists... We aren’t in competition with each other!  We’re only in competition with ourselves based on our basic skills, giftings and callings.

The thought electrified me so much I snuck out of bed and came to my computer to record it.  Miraculous!

Now, as I mentioned, the little stinker I’m in the process of incubating has kept me up all night and has actually had about three days of pushing and flexing in my abdomen that have left me breathless, irritable and worn out.  So this morning I composed a silly little rhyme for her:

There’s a squirrel in my gut
Who’s running amok
Pushing and pulling and prodding.

She goes up and down
Like a miniature clown

She stabs at my bladder
Like nothing’s the matter

It seems quite bizarre -
You know who you are! -
To sacrifice intestine
To this scrawny blessin’!


One final note.  I got off my tush and actually did some writing!  If you’re interested, my article on “How to Know They’re The One” is published on the OKWUeagle.com.  (http://okwueagle.com/2010/02/10/how-do-you-know-theyre-the-one/)

Hope you have an excellent day of love!


JJ


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...