Monday, February 22, 2010

We made it to Four!



Hello, hello! Good evening from the family that now has a 4-year-old and a 2-year-old. (It makes us sound a little less crazy than 3 and 2 years old, doesn’t it?!)

Mia turned 4 on Tuesday this week. She’s been planning the party for quite some time and was overly thrilled that we got to walk through the bakery aisle at Wal-Mart to pick out her cake. She’s been dying to do that since the summer time, every time she starts asking for a cake, I tell her that on her birthday she can pick whatever she wants but until then, no cake for you!

Since the anticipation has been building for quite some time, she was understandably excited to pick out her Fairy cake. Not Tinkerbell, mind you, but Garden Fairies. I was hoping for a cupcake cake, but no such luck, she chose a marbled sheet cake with hot pink lettering. Happiness is getting to pick everything on the toppings.


The party itself was pretty neat. We invited Mia’s classmates from school and a few other friends and colored Shrinky Dinks. That was a questionable choice on our part – the kids were thrilled to be coloring but could really care less about the Shrinky Dink part. The parents, on the other hand, were gathered around the oven watching the shrinkage happen. I guess it shows we’re young at heart? Or just easily fascinated? Hard to say...



Mia has newfound authority as a 4-year-old. She now feels that she can butter her own rolls with a knife, drink her drinks from a cup instead of a sippy, and sleep in her bed all “day-night.” Sounds good to me.

The sweetest part, in my opinion, was waking up on Wednesday morning to her face inches away from mine.

“Mommy,” she whispered, “am I still four?”

The not so sweet part?

“Mommy, I don’t need to go potty any more,” she stated before bedtime. “I’m four-years-old now.”


JJ

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...