Friday, April 29, 2011

Snaggle Tooth

Now, I know it's not the best quality photo ever, but it should be fine enough to see something is missing from my oldest child. 

Namely, her tooth.

The past two days have been an ecstasy of tooth wiggling for Mia. She's really thought about nothing else but her loose tooth.

Then today in class, I guess it just flew out of her mouth and she caught it, yelling, "Lookee here! My tooth!"

(Yes, that's a direct quote. Yes, that direct quote gives me a solid suspicion we've been in Oklahoma too long.)

Now, I'm not going to lie - the sight of her wiggling that little bit of enamel in her fleshy gum really made me cringe. A lot.

And the tooth itself still has a pocket of blood in the middle that's pretty nasty.

But in general, that's a big milestone! Where has the time gone?!

I'm feeling quite sentimental about the tooth.

So sentimental I drove all over town today in a frenzy trying to find a toothfairy pillow. I was unsuccessful in my venture.

I was just getting ready to make one with my serger when Mia howled, "ah ha!" and ran to her room, returning with an ugly but recognizable pillow in the shape of a tooth.

We have a winner, folks!

So, Mia went to bed, Maggie finally fell asleep after asking approximately 742 questions about the tooth fairy, and Mommy and Daddy discussed the going rate for a tooth these days.

We decided a $1 coin was generous enough.

Then my husband just walked in, took care of business, then left their room.

I missed it! My very first toothfairy pillow episode!

I'm comforting myself with the knowledge I will have at least 59 more opportunities to play tooth fairy. (Did you know humans have 20 "primary" teeth and 32 "permanent" teeth? Fascinating fact for Trivial Pursuit. Or Jeopardy. Your choice.)

I'm left thinking about how my baby isn't a baby anymore.

I like her as a little girl very much, but I do miss the littler person.

I think I'll just start calling her Snaggle and see if she misunderstands and thinks she's a fruit drink.

It could happen.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...