Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Flying Wallenda

It’s way too late to be up and thinking, but here I am, 1 a.m., thinking about my kiddos.

I've been thinking about how hopeful I am to see a future that doesn't involve house arrest because we can't go out in public! Then I realized that the time will come when Mikayla will be mobile and I'll have three rugrats scurrying around willy-nilly and all the shopping carts at Wal-Mart are basically built for two. Eek!

I became nervous, my hands we're clammy, and my heart started beating fast. I thought, “Mia & Maggie are trustworthy and we'll be able to hold hands, all of us, and make good decisions!”

Then I thought about Maggie and realized that my idea of a good decision may differ from hers.

This morning in the hotel there were two queen beds separated by about three feet of space. Maggie decided to launch herself from one bed to the other and, though she had beautiful extension as she sailed through the air!, she came up short. She belly flopped onto the carpet between the beds, catching her nose on the mattress on the way down.

This afternoon she scaled the rabbit pen, digging her little fingers into the wire mesh squares and gripping the rock bottom with toes clenched into flip flops. I plucked her off of the cage at eye level.

On any given day Maggie's idea of fun is death defying and almost certainly involves the potential for bruising. This is not what I hope Mikayla will pick up from her big sister.

But, frankly, if anyone could match one tenth of the enthusiasm for life that Maggie has... That would be a rare treasure indeed! Her smile is brilliant, her enthusiasm is contagious and her care for others is sincere.

She's a keeper!


Since I've been talking about goats and animals and such it seems like a good time to mention that I think we're getting a dog. Back.

You’ll remember that right after Christmas we gave Tango & Samba to another family. The dogs moved to a house with 13 acres, leaving me with space to put a piano & sofa, plus a relief of pressure from being pregnant and feeling great responsibility to care for two man-sized animals.

Well, apparently those Great Danes are fertility dogs. The family that adopted them has discovered that they're now pregnant with their third child! They’re now overwhelmed, etc. so we're going to divide and conquer. So... Sometime soon it looks like Samba, the brown one, will be coming back home to us.
We're all pretty excited! Since Samba will be more Isaiah's dog, he's told me that when I'm ready I can get a lap dog. I think this sounds lovely but I’m going to wait awhile until my lap has fewer reservations on it from the homo sapien residents of our home.

Mia has already chosen the dog's name though. She announced the other day: "Mommy, I would really like to get a poodle. If it's a girl I'll name it Thumblelina. If it's a boy, Bob."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...