Today marks the day that Mikayla made eye contact with me an smiled on purpose!
She’s been smiling and talking to the bears on her mobile for about a week now. Its been so cute and awesome and I love it that when we put her on the changing table in the mornings now her face lights up and she begins to coo at the bears and greets them with a smile as though it’s a 10-year sorority reunion and they’re her long-lost sisters.
So, while I’ve definitely been enjoying her ability to interact with the world, today is the first time she’s distinctly included me in her awareness.
Isaiah was holding her, I ducked down to get eye-level, smiled at her and simply said, “Hi!”
And as a reward for my friendliness I got a great, big grin!
I guess Zig Ziglar is on to something when he says, “A smile is the most powerful social tool you have at your disposal.”
She wooed me so much with that grin that I volunteered to change her diaper, hoping to eat up more of it while I was changing her as she interacted with the bears.
And it worked! She started up right away – it’s really cute to watch.
Mikayla saw those bears and erupted into a big, open-mouthed grin. Her eyes lit up, her lower lip trembled just a bit, I could see her tongue wiggle in her mouth as her feet began to move and her hands quivered.
All of this was obviously leading up to some wonderful pronouncement, something noteworthy! I waited, anticipating, eager to see...
And heard a vague, almost unnoticable mew. A squeak really.
It was a let down, I’m not going to lie. BUT, each time I see her start I get just as excited to hear as each little noise makes me fall a bit deeper in love with this little being we have been gifted to raise.
Just thought I’d share.
JJ
No comments:
Post a Comment