Friday, July 2, 2010

Help me solve the mystery?

I’m puzzled and hoping that you can help me understand.

I’ve been sitting here making residence hall furniture orders and listening to Mia and Maggie play.  They’re playing gymnastics, which is pretty typical for them this summer since they’ve been taking lessons and absolutely LOVE it.

Earlier this week they had their “end of the month” award ceremony where they choose a skill to do in front of the parents and then get a medal.  I’ve teased Mia in my writing because last summer she slipped off the little perch for the metal.  I was expecting that this ceremony would have no bumps.

When it came down to it, though, Mia scratched on her performance.  

She had gone to the class, practiced her skill and was sitting in line waiting for them to call her name to perform when she looked at me in distress and said, “I don’t want to do it!”

She had tears in her eyes but I didn’t understand why suddenly she would be so bothered so I encouraged her to do it.

“I don’t want to, Mommy!  I’m scared!” she said.

So, when the lady called Mia’s name Mia was wrapped around my leg, hiding her face, and not interested in budging whatsoever.  Mia was passed, no big deal, and then Mia told me that she only wanted to do her skill for her family and didn’t want anyone else to look at her.

Since she’s been a tad bit emotional lately, I chalked it up to her just being Mia.

This morning, though, she’s playing with Maggie and re-enacting the scene.  Mia plays the emcee, Maggie plays Mia (under a different name), and over and over they repeat that Maggie won’t call when her name is called and they move on to another person.

What?!  Why is this?  I don’t understand.  Do you?  Why does she want to relive a moment that had her in tears?


JJ


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...