Saturday, November 27, 2010

Trusting

So many times I work with students at the college who are at a loss trying to figure out what God wants them to do with their lives.

Sometimes they conveniently make the decision that satisfies their selfish nature and call it God's will. For example, here, "It's not you, it's me" as the classic break up line has morphed into, "God just told me to break up with you and I'm being obedient." Now, sometimes that's the case. But in general I'm of the opinion that you call a spade a spade and simply say, "Dude, I don't want to date you. Your hands are too big... you're too clingy... I realized that a man who wears a pink polo shirt can never be my main man... when we kissed I felt like I was sucking on a washcloth... your wandering eye makes me majorly insecure... [fill in the blank for the 1,000 superficial reasons we give to end the dating game until we find that one special person we actually don't want to break up with!]."


Other times our students are seriously trying to figure out life. Seriously. As I get older I'm coming to realize that the five, ten, twenty year plans are nice in theory but every plan I make should have a "draft" stamp on it. Subject to change without notice! When I try to explain this to them, though, their eyes glaze over or they give me a look like, "Are you kidding me?! Just tell me the truth and what to do!!"

Anywho, I found a new blog tonight and this blogger had a quote from Priscilla Shirer. It made sense to me and so I wanted to share it with you (even though, as I write this, only 4 people have commented on my previous post where I pled with you for comments. You are leaving me high and dry, people! Angie, Uncle Donnie, Ruth and Anna - you get gold stars and long-distance hugs for being awesome! The rest of you... you're getting this life advice simply because I have love to spare).


Here's her advice:

“When you face two options and each seems to please God, consider the one that displays God’s glory, power and strength. This makes room for God to reveal Himself to you and show Himself through you. God wants us to see the wondrous things He will accomplish in us. Don’t be fearful about the hard road He may ask you to take... He desires to show Himself strong in you and will encourage you to do things that require trust and faith.”

It encouraged me. Hope it does the same for you.

1 comment:

jayme said...

What a quote. I like it.

Also enjoyed "when we kissed I felt like I was sucking on a washcloth." I think I would have been scarred for life had someone ever said that to me :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...