Wednesday, March 9, 2011

House Elf

If you've been on the blog today you know that last night I went to bed praying that the Shoemaker's Elves would hit our house and put away the clean clothes pile that ate our love seat…

… They didn't come.

It's a disappointment that's going to take me awhile to get over but I'm certain with a 12 Step program, the support of friends and family, a bubble bath and Cherry Garcia ice cream I'll be able to collect the shards of my belief in all things being possible and move forward in life.

Though the official elves didn't stop by to help us get ready for our spring break trip, our own "elf" Mikayla has been busy.

A bookworm already...


She's taking steps.  She's pulling anything she can get her hands on down on her head.  She laughs when you play peek-a-boo like she's really worried that you've disappeared on her.

Her favorite road trip is to trek between the wall and the sofa, dust bunnies and small enclosed spaces notwithstanding.

She'll disappear for awhile and then reappear on the far side of the sofa, cooing and squealing proudly to herself.

That kid… Well, I think it's safe to say she's benefitting from the wisdom of her older sisters because it sure seems like she's hitting milestones sooner than either of them did.

For example, tonight she was sitting in the bottom of the shower while Isaiah removed pieces of slobbered and gummed strawberry from her body.  Isaiah asked her if she was ready to come out and she looked at him, said, "uh, uh," and crawled to the far side of the shower!

This little girl with big ears and a ready smile can, at 10 months, say Uh, uh, mama, dada, and dog.  She knows "all done" in sign language and can walk a few steps.

I want to report all of this with pure pride, but I have to confess that I'm both proud and… Terrified.

If she can do this now, what will she be doing when she's 5 and convinced she knows everything?  After all, it was only a few days ago that Mia told me she knew that Grandma had been a teacher because she wears glasses and all teachers wear glasses.  It's a hard and fast truth of life, those glasses.

What about when Mikayla is 3 like her sister Maggie and announces at dinner that a boy tried to kiss her today and she pushed him away and yelled, "Yuck!"?  Maggie apparently didn't hurt the boy but I'm not sure that will fare in the future.  She's pretty menacing…

I may not know much about the future of Mikayla in our lives but I do know this… Whatever comes, it will not be boring.

Since the Shoemaker Elves have failed me and I'm now looking into a Brownie for laundry assistance.  If you have any leads or know of a house elf who needs a position, please let me know.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...