Monday, March 7, 2011

Thoughts of the Day

The questions of the day: 

1  At what point does a temper tantrum morph into a competitive spirit?
2.  Why does Mia adopt a Jersey accent and lift her voice several octaves when she pretends to talk on the phone?
3.  In what world do emergency 911 operators tell you they have a bad connection and ask to call you back? 

The answers:

1.  When Mia beats Maggie to the truck while riding bikes and throws her bike to the ground John McEnroe-style.

2.  It's obvious that she's copying her father's phone habits.  Like, totally.
3.  The same world where toothpaste is an entrée, all schoolteachers have to wear glasses, and Hitler is so bad he's considered three kinds of stupid.  I'm pretty sure unicorns poop rainbows here, too.

Finally, I spent some time today editing a story on the Orange Movement.  I mentioned a t-shirt a few weeks ago and they have created a website with 13 ways to get involved with social justice and stopping the sex slavery that is happening right now in the U.S.  

"Abolitionists are those who have examined the subject –

anti-abolitionists are those who will not read or hear."

Right this very moment there are upwards of 300,000 underage girls being held in sexual slavery in the U.S. alone and 27 million being trafficked worldwide.  As a woman, as a human, I can't ignore that this is happening and my willingness to speak up will help to stop it.


"These are human beings who are owned by someone else, who lack the ability to walk away, who lack the ability to make a decision in their own self-interest to do something else," said Allen. "If that's not slavery, I don't know what is."

One of our residence halls is named after Orange Scott (whose parents had a strange sense of humor to name him this) and the movement is inspired by his stand against human injustice.  Here is a quote I find particularly compelling because I can relate:

"I was ignorant on the question of slavery...though I am ashamed to confess it.  I did not suppose that slavery existed [in my circles].  Indeed, I scarcely knew it existed at all."


Do you question whether this is for real?  It is.


Please, take some time to click through and read more – there is a time coming where we will be deeply grieved if we ignore this injustice and do nothing because it is inconvenient and incomprehensible to us personally.




At the most fearsome point is my knowledge that each of these slaves is the child of someone.  That, despite my best attempt at protection the possibility exists that the little girls you like to read about in these updates are at risk.  My daughter could be the unfortunate girl who is kidnapped.  

I have to speak up.  I have to pray.  I have to do something.

I hope you'll join me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...