The laundry pile that has been taunting me from the love seat for several days has been vanquished!
Well, almost.
The cloths are sorted, hung and put away but I'm still working through matching all the socks and getting them in their little pairs and put into the sock drawer.
This is my least favorite of all of the household duties, none of which I am particularly fond, as Susie Homemaker I am not.
Based on extensive personal experience with this household chore, I'm confident that the task of matching children's socks is a way Lucifer himself lures people into his domain.
I'm ready to throw every single stinkin' sock away and start over. These socks are of varying degrees of cleanliness and sometimes come out of the laundry wadded into little balls I have to reach my hand into to straighten out.
When I have a hangnail, that's a tortuous task!
I would LOVE to throw them away and start fresh. In fact, I backpacked Europe with a guy who brought a clean pair of socks for every day of the journey and just left them behind as we moved locations.
He had shiny white socks even at the end of our journey, when everything we wore was grey from repeated handwashings.
He had very white teeth, too, so it was like he had white bookends on his body, teeth and socks. But that's irrelevant.
When it comes down to it, I can't ever just throw them away and start over because my thriftiness, which has grown by leaps and bounds since becoming a mother and has, on occasion, made me poison myself with a chip and dip that I just needed to finish off and not waste, surges forward and I look at all the brightly colored socks and think I can't throw them away because there are people around the world who don't have socks.
Just look at TOMS shoes. There are children in desperate need of footwear and I'm complaining about socks.
Perhaps I should package all of the socks up and send them to Rwanda.

No comments:
Post a Comment