I woke up this morning to the sound of a diaper being filled with grunting gusto.
I got up, took care of the baby, the kids, the dogs, did a load of laundry and loaded and unloaded the dishwasher.
Discovered that the dog had tinkled on the carpet. Discovered that the girls had gone to their room behind me and pulled out their toys. Saw that while I was cleaning that up the baby had pulled most of the books off the bookshelf.
Went back to the kitchen and unearthed a dishrag that had been coyly hiding long enough that it had flourescent yellow streaks across it.
Became angry. Very angry.
It seems to me that I am 1/5 of the equation of humans who occupy our home. I create approximately 1/10 of the mess. My husband helps a great deal but on mornings like this it makes me feel better to think that I'm the only one helping out because we all know that alienation is a very good way to make friends and influence people. It appears to me that I do 4/5 of the cleaning that takes place in our house.
It's not fair.
And, I have to admit that (please excuse the language I'm about to use, the cadence of it was just too appealing to pass up) in addition to the funny math of fractions the ratio of my poodle bliss is disproportionate to the frustration of the puppy piss. That dog needs to be housebroken immediately. Yesterday.
In retribution for my anger this morning at the unholy distribution of work in my household I rebelled and refused to make Maggie's lunch. Because that's a mature attitude. (Don't worry, my husband took pity on her and made PB&J).
This is not uncommon to many homes, many mornings. But I'm still mad about it. I feel like being a woman is completely ridiculous and even though we can handle so many details we shouldn't have to! And just because I'm named "mom" didn't give me a PhD in item location, cleaning forensics, customer service, and dessert rationing!
So, here's my desperate, angry plea this morning: Those of you who've walked this path before, how did you do it? What did you do when you got angry? Does it ever end? Help!
Please.
No comments:
Post a Comment