I really hate it when I have to admit that I'm… Well… Stupid.
It doesn't happen all that often, which is something that I truly appreciate. In fact, the last time I can clearly remember blatantly making such a bad choice was two summers ago.
Backstory – I'm allergic to cantaloupe. Melons make my mouth itch. My lips swell and my mouth itches and I try to scratch the roof of my mouth with my tongue, which, as you might imagine, is not the most effective tool to use to scratch something with.
Two summers ago I went to Dallas for a wonderful writing conference. While I was there I saw a fruit tray that had the most delicious-looking cantaloupe slices on it. I couldn’t resist. Even though I knew I would regret it, I ate a slice of cantaloupe as quickly as I could with the hope that if I ingested it quickly it would have less time to create the allergic reaction in the soft tissues of my mouth.
Believe it or not, that cantaloupe did not make my mouth itch. At all. I spent the weekend eating every slice of cantaloupe I could find at the conference. It was bliss.
I got home and saw that there was a cantaloupe in our refrigerator for the girls to eat. Emboldened by my Dallas cantaloupe-eating success, I wolfed down the entire cantaloupe in about five minutes time.
Unfortunately, Oklahoma cantaloupes and Dallas cantaloupes do not come from the same place. Within moments I was gasping, scratching at my face and neck and moaning. Isaiah was quite concerned and asked me what was wrong. I had to admit that I'd eaten an entire melon, knowing that I was allergic.
He did get me Benadryl but I haven't lived that one down. I may have him harrassing me about that for the rest of our married life.
Tonight will fall under that category. I had a lot of work to get done and I needed to be alert so I went to Starbucks and got a carmel machiatto. At 7 p.m.
I generated 10,000 words in six hours, which is pretty amazing in my opinion. My hands were actually numb from typing so fast without a break.
The downside? It's now 2 a.m. and I can't go to sleep. I've done some laundry. I've watched the Food Network, I've put the dogs out to go to the bathroom, I've showered, I've trimmed all fingernails. This is ridiculous.
My overriding thought at this point is the tragic knowledge that my kids will be awake and wanting my attention in about four hours.
Lord, have mercy.
On another note I'm happy to report that the poodles are doing fabulous! Even better than expected! Samantha, the five year old, has a few social issues to work through – particularly the fact that she's trying her best to establish herself as the dominate female in the household when she's the size of Samba's skull.
Ah well, all good things must come to an end. :)
1 comment:
I just love the smile you put on my face. Thanks, as always--for being REAL! Next time, go decaf :)
Post a Comment