Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Bad JuJu

The weather today is 60 degrees.  It's overcast… But 60?!  How's that for a temperature turn around?!

I was so inspired by this that I decided to take the Suburban to the carwash.  While there I recognized that the vacuum cleaners attached to the carwash were free – my favorite price! - and I had a few minutes, so I pulled in and started to vacuum.

The front seats were just fine.  The middle seats were fine.

But then we came to the backseat.

Now, before I show you the photo, I think it's necessary to explain a few things.

1.  I generally never, ever look at the area around Mia and Maggie's car seats because I know it's bad ju-ju back there and I'm scared.
2.  When we got the Suburban I had not anticipated the sheer space between the front and back seats.  It's a vehicle the same size of a 15-passenger van.  I can't reach the kids and so I tend to just throw food at them from the front seat.  I don't have good aim.

I'm ashamed to admit that I have caught Maggie eating a Taco Bell burrito in her car seat knowing that we haven't been to Taco Bell in at least three days.  Maggie's the worst.  She'll squirrel the food away and then pull it out and snack on it later.

Once she asked me if she could eat "puffs," which are the baby snacks that melt in your mouth.  I gave her permission and then a bit later looked back to find she was eating the bun off of Mia's discarded McDonald hamburger that had been sitting in the back seat uneaten for about six days.

I vomited a little in my mouth on that one.

Later I decided it wasn't so bad because someone photographed a Happy Meal hamburger every day for six months and there wasn't much change.  It's a fascinating story: http://tinyurl.com/29l3pve  I guess it validates how Maggie could be confused.


Regardless of all of this amazing storytelling, I knew that the picture wasn't going to be pretty when I headed back to the far back seat with that vacuum hose.

I donned my gas mask and haz mat suit and dove in.  This photo was taken after I had emptied a full armload of trash from the floor.  It's revolting.


It took far longer than a few minutes, but the back of the car – actually, the whole car! - is now clean.

I feel like I have vanquished a foe of great mass.  Too bad I also feel like I shouldn't look back there for another three months…

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...