Thursday, February 10, 2011

She's Walking!

This morning when I woke up it was -23 degrees outside.
The backyard.  Notice the roof of the yellow Cozy Coupe?  Behind the swingset... The coupe is gone!

I thought it was a typo.  I couldn't believe such a thing was possible because I knew that I hadn't flown to South Dakota or Alaska overnight.  Oklahoma doesn't have great weather but it's never been below 0 before.

Then I found out that the low last night was actually -28 and i collapsed on the floor.  Then I shot up off of the floor because it was like sitting on liquid nitrogen and my skin peeled off in black, frosty layers.

Not really, but it was very cold.  And snowy!
We want to turn this into a sledding ramp but are a little nervous about colliding with the Jeep in the foreground.

While the dogs have been refusing to go outside Mikayla has gone from an infant to a walker!  Today she took her first step!

This is pretty impressive considering she was actually born three days ago.  Somehow she went so fast from this:
Two days old.  Wow. Love her lips!

To this:

And, yes, she's wearing a cloth diaper. We're still going strong!

I don't know how I'll recover.  At least she's still bald so I can pretend she's a newborn.  And her ears continue to make her look like Elmer Fudd, which makes me smile!

We're having a small gathering for Mia's birthday tomorrow if anyone can brave the arctic tundra to attend.  She'll be five.  I still find it absolutely amazing that I have kept this child alive longer than any houseplant I ever had.  Yes, the stakes are higher with a child, but if I can't even remember to water a Pothos regularly why did I ever think I could feed a small human?

And yet, I have!  With much help from my husband the sweet kiddo has made it five years.  Stunning.

In other random news I was pulling the food processor out of the dishwasher last night and Maggie looked at it, examined the sharp blades, and then asked me:

"Mommy, is this what we chop bunnies up in?"

What?! 

I can guarantee that we have never chopped a bunny up in the food processor.  Or in anything!  Chopped bunny has never been on a menu!  

(Although as I write this I'm wondering if she got her words mixed up and she actually meant is this what we chop "onions" up in... maybe.  Or she's just been torturing woodland creatures in her spare time.)

My cooking skills are suspect these days.  I cooked the worst dinner of my married life last night.  I tried to do better tonight and used the crock pot for chicken but now it's really not sitting well with my stomach.  My confidence in my culinary expertise is low right now considering I almost died of food poisoning from my own cooking a month ago.

All of this serves as proof that we need to eat in the cafeteria on campus more often.  The end.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...