Friday, February 18, 2011

Jailbreak

We are getting out of Dodge.

Approximately three hours ago, somewhere between waiting in line for 15 other cars to get a car wash and cleaning the Tacoma in order to sell it, I got a wild hair and decided it was time for a trip to Branson.

I approached Isaiah, he didn't have anything specifically planned for the weekend and so we're off.

It makes me feel wild and free and not 35 with three kids, gray hair, and sporadic back pain to do spontaneous trips.  Better yet would be to go to an airport and just get on the next available flight to wherever.  However, my basic need to plan prevents me from doing this without checking the weather report first.  I must know whether to bring galoshes or flip flops.  These are the important decisions in life.

So, in a record setting three hours we got someone to house sit the dogs who still aren't house broken, vaguely cleaned the house, packed our bags, changed two diapers, and loaded into the Suburban for an adventure.

I'm calling the hotel on the way and we're praying that dinner will be at Lambert's.  In the meantime we're getting a small snack from Taco Bell which I will hurl toward the back seat.  Hopefully it will land within reaching distance of the hungry natives.  Sometimes it even hits them square on, but their catching skills are prime yet, so it's actually better when the paper-wrapped fast food manna lands near them rather than on them.

Once we got into the car I saw the t-shirts that I bought for $5 today to support the Orange Movement.  It's orange, which is a color that has historically made me angry when I wear it, but I like the message, "Eagles for Freedom; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners."

If you aren't familiar with the Orange Movement, it is a social justice philosophy that spreads awareness of human trafficking.  Did you know that the U.S. is the #1 destination in the world for slavery?  That there is more slavery today than there was prior to the Civil War?

Oklahoma is one of the areas with a huge destination because of the central location and the interstates that meet in the state.  As a university we are doing our best to promote awareness and encourage people to peak up about the problem and do anything to stop it in their own communities.

I could go on more and more about this, but the upshot is that if you have an interest in supporting the Orange Movement – named for Orange Scott, a man with an unfortunate name but a beautiful compassion for equality – let me know.  You, too, could wear an orange t-shirt for $5 and take your chances with whether it makes you angry.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...