My husband, the loving man that he is, decided that our sleepless nights and the stress level of the third ER visit in three months for our family were reason enough to have a date night. And where did he take me?
The shooting range.
![]() |
| What else is there to say? |
At this point, please begin playing whatever country music soundtrack works for you in your head. Because, I tell you what, as much as I enjoyed this experience there was a lot of camo, many guns, bushy facial hair and few teeth in the building.
![]() |
| Don't let the quiet facade fool you, this place has machine guns! And purses that double as holsters! And guns! and strangely colored custom guns! |
It was the first time I've shot a gun since I was 19 years old. Which, let's be honest, was only about, ahem, three years ago, ahem, but I was feeling a little rusty.
I had to admit that my technique was sorely lacking when I realized I was aiming then closing both eyes tightly when I pulled the trigger. Strangely enough I found that my accuracy really improved when I finally started opening both eyes while shooting!
As we were finishing up something about us was compelling to the owners and they brought us into their back room to see their historical gun selection and tell us stories about their machine guns. What really got my heart pumping fast were the guns that had been customized with "lady-friendly" colors.
There was a purple pistol that, if it had a nickname, could be called Tijuana Kate. And the pink metallic handgun that would be something like Bubblegum Brittany. And let's not forget the Kool-Aid blue rifle I would nickname the Blueberry Bandit.
Who does that to their gun??
They were actually very friendly and I want to go back. Mostly so it doesn't feel so strange to me in the future.
The strangeness didn't end with Nowata Firearms. When I googled "God and guns" to try to find a fun photo for this update I discovered that Lynard Skinner and Republicans have taken over the images available in this topic.
I found this:
![]() |
| Because your pooch has a vote and wants to exercise their rights to vote. |
And this:
![]() |
| This is an absolutely bizarre combination of items to put on a t-shirt. Much more unusual than a Piggly Wiggly tee. |
And this:
![]() |
| Such a friendly sentiment. And good spelling skills, too! |
I have no words for these photos. But I find them very, very strange. Kind of like looking up pregnancy photos on the website awkward family photos.
After our experience with guns we headed back to the college to attend a worship service. It was awesome to listen to some of our graduates lead worship - they're quite talented, cool people!
Finally, we went to dinner where I ended up overeating horrible things like salad and french fries. I mean, really, if I'm going to indulge to an uncomfortable level it needs to be something worthwhile, like Haagen-Dazs ice cream.
After all this exhilaration we came home to sit on the sofa, hold toes, and watch the History channel.
It's a nonstop party around here on a Friday night. Don't worry, I know you're jealous and we can be friends anyway.





No comments:
Post a Comment